Mio MiVue 538 Deluxe Review
- Safety camera alerts
- Exceptional 1080p HD recording quality in all conditions
- Great GPS
- 8GB memory card included
- Compact dash camera
- Cradle mount rotates for custom placement
- MiVue™ Manager delivers an intuitive system
- Mio Customer Service is responsive
- Internal battery is poor
- Photo resolution in Photo Mode is sub-par compared to video resolution
- Parking Mode is nice in theory, but not well executed
- Bugs when uploading videos to social media
- Cheap-feel to buttons
Safety Camera: The Mio MiVue 538 Deluxe’s novel feature alerts drivers of the presence of safety cameras. Receive verbal or beeping alerts when approaching a camera with enough time to safely adjust driving speed. The innovative system is even capable of detecting some sub-road traffic monitoring cables and mobile speed traps using lasers. This must-have feature includes unlimited lifetime updates from Mio’s online database for user convenience.
Real-time GPS Tracking: Live video is accompanied by data gathered from the GPS receiver, including direction of travel, speed (km/h or mph) and geographical coordinates of routes, and syncs to Google Maps during video playback.
Low Light Recording: Six glass elements combine with an anti-flash filter to create a noteworthy F1.8 lens that lets in more light than traditional plastic lenses, offering exceptional image quality with vivid hues-even in low light conditions, day or night.
Full HD: Video records rich details at 1080p resolution. The fixed 130° wide-angle lens guarantees a broad field of view with minimal distortion and reduced blind spots for drivers. Videos are saved as individual H.264 .mov files, a compressed format that maintains fine detail and visual clarity, while preserving space on SD cards.
Emergency Recording: Employing the 3-axis G-sensor, this mode immediately records sudden changes in motion, or severe impact. The degree of force and direction of impact are documented along with video footage. Files are saved automatically and protected from overwrite until further review. This feature is automated by default, but can be switched to manual activation.
Parking Mode: Motion detection technology captures movement and impact in front of vehicles without a driver present. Note: This mode requires a continuous power source, such as the Mio Smartbox Hardwire Kit (sold separately).
MiVue™ Manager: Review and playback video with the user-friendly system. The interface catalogues files by type (video/photo) in a calendar for convenient access and retrieval. Video speed can be adjusted during playback, pinpointing critical moments for analysis at slower speeds. Watch video of routes traveled synched to Google Maps,™ or cut and splice videos together and upload them to YouTube™ and Facebook® to share with subscribers and friends. Advanced settings allow for directional analysis and real-time display of data recorded by the 3-axis G-sensor tool.
***credit to avmeo channel for this video***
***credit to avmeo channel for this video***
Pros and Cons
- Safety camera alerts while driving offer ample time to slow down and adjust speeds accordingly. The Mio MiVue 538 Deluxe’s impressive feature includes free, unlimited lifetime updates of safety camera locations from their comprehensive database (including several countries), guaranteeing up-to-date notifications wherever the road takes you.
- Exceptional 1080p HD recording, even in low light. The wide F1.8 lens and all-glass components deliver footage with vivid clarity-from road signs to license plates, regardless of day or nighttime recording.
- GPS receiver rapidly detects location and synchs to Google Maps.™ Data is accurately recorded, documenting driver speed, the direction of travel and geographical coordinates during playback for review.
- 8GB memory card included allowing for use straight out of the box. The storage space accommodates approximately 50 minutes of video with an additional reserve intentionally saved for use in the Emergency Recording mode. A 32GB microSD card (Class 10) is recommended for optimal use.
- Compact dash camera with minimalist design ensures drivers have clear, unobstructed views while on the road.
- Cradle mount rotates for custom placement of the dash cam at any angle or direction preferred by drivers.
- MiVue™ Manager delivers an intuitive system to playback photo/video, analyze recordings at varying speeds, review routes in tandem with Google Maps™ and even edit photo/video clips to share on social media networks.
- Mio Customer Service is responsive to customer concerns and troubleshooting issues in a timely manner. Furthermore, their site is easy for users to navigate, find answers to commonly asked questions and even instantly download software updates, program patches/drivers to keep mobile units up to date, operating in peak performance.
- The internal battery is poor, offering limited use in Photo and Parking Modes. While Mio states their integrated Li-ION battery offers up to an hour of power, user estimates clock the battery life in at 5-15 minutes. The limited battery life limits the ability to take photos of damages in case of an accident and renders the dash cam virtually useless in Parking Mode when left recording over extended periods.
- Photo resolution in Photo Mode is sub-par compared to video resolution. Still, images are captured at 3 megapixels, lacking the impressive HD-quality of video. However, photos offer satisfactory image quality when gathering evidence of vehicular damage from accidents.
- Parking Mode is nice in theory, but not well executed. Parking Mode requires a continuous source of power to operate, requiring the additional purchase of Mio’s Smartbox Hardwire Kit (£33.95) or custom-overhauling of a vehicle’s power wires. Additionally, the dash cam must be left in the car and in its mounting cradle for active operation, which may in turn invite theft instead of deter unsolicited activity.
- Bugs when uploading videos to social media. Some users have reported lack of Wi-Fi connectivity or log-in time outs when attempting to upload videos to social media networks.
- Cheap-feel to buttons, but responsive to user commands nonetheless.
The MiVue 538 Deluxe from Mio is a notable low-mid range dash cam, delivering HD-quality video with attention to fine imaging details in a compact design. All-glass components and the wide F1.8 lens let in a considerable amount of light, guaranteeing visual clarity even during nighttime driving. Emergency Recording is a great safety mode, activating the 3-axis G-sensor to record details from sudden movement or impact as an over-write protected file for later review. However, Photo and Parking Mode disappoint due to poor performance of the internal battery, unless users intend on investing in alternative power sources. When reviewing files, MiVue™ Manager offers a user-friendly system that combines organized cataloguing of videos/photos, versatile playback options, as well as some fun add-ons to share footage on social networks.
The prime selling point of Mio’s 538 Deluxe is their innovative integration of the Safety Camera feature, alerting drivers to the presence of safety cameras with generous time to adjust their speeds. The system includes lifetime, unlimited updates when synching to Mio’s database.
Overall, with great reviews from the likes of Halfords UK, outstanding visual quality, accurate GPS tracking, an intuitive file managing system, and the bonus Safety Camera feature make the Mio MiVue 538 Deluxe a welcome upgrade to the 538 model and worth the added investment.
Mio MiVue 538 Deluxe Product Details
|Spec Name||Model Spec Details|
|Lens||F1.8, 130° wide angle|
|Resolution/Frame Rate||1080p at 30fps|
|Low Light Recording||Yes|
|Video Format||H.264 .mov files|
|Video Output||Mini HDMI, mini USB (not included)|
|Power Source||12 V mini USB car charger, 1x rechargeable Li-ION battery (included)|
|Memory||microSD cards up to 32GB|
|Display Type/Size||NA/6.1 cm|
|Dimensions||31.5 x 6.2 x 6.7 cm|
- Mio MiVue™ 538 Deluxe dashboard camera
- In-vehicle rotating cradle mount, suction bracket
- 12 V mini USB car charger (3.5 m cable)
- 8GB microSD card (with adaptor card)
- Storage/carry pouch, soft rubber material
- Product manual
- SanDisk Ultra Imaging 32 GB microSDHC Memory Card, Class 10
- atFoliX Glass Protective Film Touch Glass Protector
- Mini USB Data & Charging Cable Lead
- Portable Emergency AA Battery Charger Extender
- Mio Smartbox Hardwire Kit
Mio stands behind their philosophy and adage Explore More. Founded in 2002, Mio has become an industry leader in mobile GPS technologies that empower users to do just that-Explore More. The company is committed to its mission of making travel freer and more accessible, while maintaining a globally responsible outlook in the design, manufacturing and distribution of their products. Mio is consciously aware of their global footprint and actively works to improve business practices for the betterment of the environment and society by consuming less energy, designing compact products that are free of harmful substances and easily recycle, as well as reducing product packaging materials.
The 538 Deluxe still remains an important, well received dash cam in Mio’s driving recorder technology range.
If you enjoyed our Mio MiVue™ 538 Deluxe dashboard camera review, be sure to check out other cameras reviewed from the Mio family.