- High-quality recording
- Compact footprint of the camera
- Lengthy and durable power cord
- Effortless setup and installation
- Free memory card included
- Budget-conscious pricing
- Manual activation
- Day and nighttime recording modes not automated
- Date and time settings are not saved
- G-sensor sensitivity higher than average
- Maximum storage capacity is 32GB
- Suction mount not included
Day/Night Recording: The Transcend DrivePro 200 dash cam has a large F2.0 aperture combined with its 1080p resolution deliver high-quality video that automatically adjusts to changing light conditions. Capture all the evidence needed, including license plates and road signs, in both day and nighttime driving conditions.
Innovative Lens Design: Seven glass lenses offer superior image quality compared to cameras with plastic lenses. The layered lens system and an extra-wide, 160° viewing angle capture a broad field of view from the driver’s perspective. The addition of an infrared filter prevents fogging from heat generated during extended recording sessions, guaranteeing undistorted and clear video at all times.
G-sensor with Emergency Mode: If a crash occurs, the motion G-sensor detects impact and automatically triggers the Emergency Mode, recording vital seconds before the incident, the event and safeguarding the file from being overwritten. Emergency Mode can be manually activated by pressing the Emergency Button in cases when events occur outside of one’s vehicle and documented proof could serve as valuable evidence.
Sharp LCD Screen: The larger colour LCD playback screen offers clean and sharp details for users reviewing video footage. The screen is viewable at any angle, in all lighting conditions.
Instantly View/Download Videos: With built-in Wi-Fi connectivity, users can instantly stream, download and share footage of accidents with the police and insurance companies using Transcend’s free DrivePro App (supported by Android and iOS mobile devices).
Day and Night Footage
***credit to Simon Nottm channel for this video***
Pros and Cons
- High-quality recording paired with an exceptional 160° wide-angle lens offer impressive video footage from both day and nighttime driving with reduced blind spots. Image quality and the wide recording radius is comparable to even high-end dash cameras.
- Compact footprint of the camera. Transcend packs in essential features and presents a lightweight dash cam with reliable durability that rivals many of its competitors. Once mounted, the camera will not shake or wobble, even when driving over speed bumps, potholes or rough terrain.
- Lengthy and durable power cord can be concealed along the headliner, passenger side frame and under the glove box, ensuring a wire-free view through the windshield.
- Effortless setup and installation. The camera guarantees simple, hassle-free installation in vehicles. The intuitive system provides user-friendly navigation through menu and setting options, even the technically-challenged will appreciate Transcend’s comprehensive interface without feeling overwhelmed.
- Free memory card included for straight out-of-the-box use. The DrivePro 200 includes a 16GB microSD memory card, enabling full HD-recording for up to 4 hours. Crafted from top-tier, MLC NAND flash chips, the memory card offers dependable performance and lasting service life.
- Budget-conscious pricing. The Transcend DrivePro 200 is one of the most affordable dash cameras we’ve reviewed. Given the notable video quality (yea, we can’t stop raving about the image quality) and essential key features to match, it certainly keeps Transcend’s camera in the running when weighing a purchase decision against pricier dash cameras.
- Manual activation. The device does not automatically turn on despite being plugged in when the car starts. The DrivePro 200 is not equipped with a vehicle motion-detection sensor; therefore, manual activation is required every time by pressing the on button. This may cause issues for users unaccustomed to switching the camera on before a drive.
- Day and nighttime recording modes are not automated. Although the video quality is excellent in both day and nighttime driving conditions, users have to manually switch between day and nighttime recording modes.
- Date and time settings are not saved. We found the date and time settings need to be set every time the camera is turned on. This added step can be inconvenient and time consuming, especially considering most dash cameras automate this feature.
- G-sensor sensitivity higher than average. Some users have noted the G-sensor to be far too sensitive, triggering Emergency Recording even with small bumps to the car while driving such as going over speed ramps. The camera’s sensor perceives an event and falsely initiates Emergency Recording, which can take up valuable and unnecessary space on memory cards.
- Maximum storage capacity is 32GB. The DrivePro 200 accommodates microSD memory cards up to 32GB. Larger capacity cards will render the device inoperative.
- Suction mount not included. Transcend’s device does not include a suction cup to mount the camera to windshields. We advise users to purchase a suitable mount for the camera for added stability, as the included adhesive securement may not serve as the most robust option and can leave unnecessary marks in vehicles.
The Transcend DrivePro 200 dash cam delivers impressive, HD-recording during day and nighttime conditions. While it is a low-range dash camera, the video quality is equal to what one would expect from a higher-end model. The 160° viewing angle is one of the widest angles offered on the market. A few issues the device presents include the sensitivity of the G-sensor, with a small bump or pothole in the road activating Emergency Recording. Additionally, having to manually set the date and time settings every time the camera is turned on affects the camera’s rating negatively.
Overall, the Transcend DrivePro 200 dashboard camera offers high-quality video and basic, useful features at a value that is nearly unbeatable evidence of why this model has become such a popular dash cam in today’s market, and makes it onto our top 10 UK dashboard cameras list.
Average Customer Rating: 4/5 stars (Amazon UK, based on 1500 reviews)
Transcend DrivePro 200 Dash Cam Product Details
|Spec Name||Model Spec Details|
|Lens||0, 160° wide angleImage Sensor: CMOS, 3 megapixels|
|Resolution/Frame Rate||1080p at 30fps, 720p at 30 fps|
|Low light Recording||Yes|
|Wi-Fi||Yes (free DrivePro App, for Android/iOS)|
|Video Format||264 files|
|Video Output||RCA video (included)|
|Power Source||12 VDC Power Adapter, 1x lithium-metal battery (included)|
|Memory||microSD cards up to 32GB (Class 6 or higher)|
|Compatibility||Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac 10.8.2 (or later), Linux Kernel 2.6.38 (or later)|
|Display Type/Size||LCD/6.1 cm|
|Dimensions||2 x 6.7 x 3.4 cm|
- Transcend DrivePro 200 dashboard camera
- In-vehicle adhesive mount
- 12 VDC power adapter
- 16GB microSD memory card*
- Video cable
- Quick-start guide
- Warranty card (2-years limited)
- Choose from 16GB or 32GB microSD card options
Founded in 1988, the Taiwanese electronic manufacturer Transcend has established a solid global reputation. Transcend has made a name for themselves, offering a wide range of over 2,000 electronic devices and multimedia accessories, including the following: memory modules, flash memory cards, USB flash drives, digital audio players, portable media players, portable hard drives, multimedia products and graphics cards to name a few. A 2007 report ranked Transcend as the world’s third largest manufacturer of USB flash drives.
The Transcend DrivePro 200 dashboard camera is one of Transcend’s flagship products, receiving four awards in 2015 from Auto Express and Taiwan Excellence.
If you enjoyed our Transcend DrivePro 200 dash cam review, be sure to check out other reviews from the well recognised Transcend range.