Dash cams are a great way to record your journeys and ensure you are protected in the event of a road accident. The Nextbase 512G dash cam is a great choice for those looking for a modern, high-specification model with a range of features and excellent video quality.
In this blog post, we’ll be taking an in-depth look at the Nextbase 512G dash cam to see whether or not it’s the right camera for your needs. We’ll review the features, design, performance, and more to help you decide if it’s the right dash cam for you.
The Nextbase 512G dash cam is an advanced model with features that offers HD recording quality. It has many features, including an emergency SOS system, lane departure warnings, and night vision. It also has various mounting options for flexible installation and is simple to use.
Nextbase 512G Dash Cam is the latest in a line of high-quality, full HD dash cams. This camera offers a 140-viewing angle and WiFi and GPS capabilities, making it easy to use. The anti-glare polarising lens ensures that videos are clear no matter what surface they’re viewed on.
- High-quality image resolution, day or night
- The oldest footage is overwritten first
- Simple installation and distraction-free driving
- Mac compatible
- Difficult to remove from its mount
- Memory card not included
- More pricey than your average camera
Nextbase 512G Dash Cam Specification
|Spec Name||Model Spec Details|
|Lens||6, 140° wide angle|
|Resolution/Frame Rate||1080p at 30fps|
|Low Light Recording||Yes|
|Video Output||HDMI, AV|
|Power Source||12 V Power Adapter, 1x battery (approx. 10 min run time)|
|Memory||microSD cards up to 32GB|
|Display Type/Size||LCD/6.86 cm|
|Dimensions||3 x 6 x 4.1 cm|
Unboxed The Nextbase 512G
- Nextbase 512G Ultra dashboard camera
- In-vehicle click and go suction mount
- 12 V car power adapter (4 m cable)
- USB cable
- HDMI cable
- User manual
- PC software
- SanDisk Ultra Android 32 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card
- Nextbase iN Car Camera Mount
- Nextbase InCarCam Carry Case
- Nextbase Car Camera Hard Wire Kit
Founded in 2005 and based in Surrey, Nextbase is the industry-leading brand for in-vehicle entertainment accessories. They are well-known for their high-quality DVD players, tablets and dashboard cameras. According to GFK data, their range of dash cams are the most popular in the UK, dominating 56% of the market share in March 2014!
Released in mid-2015, the Nextbase 512G Ultra dashboard camera received the “Best Buy” award in its category from Which? Magazine in 2015, while also picking up the Auto Express “Best Buy” 2016 award. At the time of writing, the 512G Ultra ranked #10 in the car driving recorders section of Amazon UK.
Impressive Day and Night Recording:
The Nextbase 512G Ultra with full 1080p high-definition recording, an F1.6 aperture lens, and a 140° viewing angle deliver crystal clear video footage, even when capturing events not happening directly in front of drivers. Pairing Sony’s latest Exmor Sensor with a powerful IR Night Vision system guarantees clear nighttime footage with fine detail retention.
Drivers will certainly appreciate the added benefit of the camera’s intuitive Wide Dynamic Range feature, which automatically adjusts brightness levels according to changing lighting conditions.
Anti-Glare Polarising Filter:
The 512G Ultra is the first dash cam in the world to integrate an anti-glare polarising system with its lens. The filter reduces windscreen glare, even in direct sunlight, for clearer images and definition.
The built-in 10x GPS sensor rapidly locates drivers to let them know where they are on the road and their actual driving speed. The GPS records coordinates and driver speed throughout each trip for convenient playback on Google Maps™.
In the unfortunate event of an accident, drivers can notify the police and insurers with a full roster of vital information for reports and claims.
G-Force and Motion Sensor:
When an incident occurs, the G-Force sensor automatically triggers File Protection Mode, recording footage from before, during, and after an impact or collision in an overwritten protected file for later review and analysis. In addition to File Protection Mode, the sensor detects if drivers yawed, braked, and the actual force of impact.
Keep vehicles secured from theft and collision even when you’re not present. Parking Mode detects motion outside the vehicle and records activity while the car is parked.
In the event of an accident, dismount the 512G Ultra, switch to Photo Mode, and document damages at the scene as evidence for the police and insurers.
Auto Power On:
Don’t worry about powering up the Nextbase 512G Ultra before setting off on a trip. The camera employs Ignition Detection to activate once the car starts, saving drivers an extra step.
Large LCD Display:
At nearly 7 cm, the LCD screen is slightly larger than the average dash cam screens available to the UK market. The screen offers crisp images when recorded footage is instantly played back, and the user eases while navigating through the menu and settings.
The included 12 V car adapter power cable is four meters long, allowing users plenty of cables to work with and conceal along a widescreen and passenger side when setting up the 512G Ultra.
***credit to We’re going on an adventure channel for this video***
Pros and Cons for nextbase 512g dash cam
- High-quality image resolution, day or night. An impressive F1.6 aperture, the 140° wide viewing angle, and the novel addition of an anti-glare polarising filter ensure the 512G Ultra delivers top-of-the-line footage regardless of the time of day. The low aperture lets in plenty of light for improved performance in low light or nighttime driving. The polarising filter eliminates excessive brightness that can take away from fine details when recording in direct sunlight. All video is recorded in brilliant 1080p HD for spectacular footage, guaranteeing clear resolution of license plates and road signs.
- Feature-rich. Nextbase knows how to pack it all in, balancing roadside essentials with a few worthwhile additions that are attractive to today’s UK market. Some important components include Night Vision, an integrated GPS, Parking Mode, and Photo Mode.
- The oldest footage is overwritten first. Thanks to the 512G Ultra’s auto-loop function, it automatically records over existing videos, starting with the oldest footage, allowing drivers an ample window to review footage before it is overwritten. This must-have feature preserves valuable space on the memory card, allowing for continuous recording of all your travels.
- Simple installation and distraction-free driving. The Nextbase product line thrives in doing one thing, particularly well-creating devices with effortless set-up and intuitive use. The Nextbase 512G Ultra is no exception. A straightforward navigation menu allows simple toggling through modes and custom adjustments to varied settings. Blackout the display completely or after a designated time, eliminating the screen’s bright halo that can cause driver distraction.
- Mac compatible. Numerous dash cameras currently available on the market are not compatible with Macs, nor do they clearly state this OS compatibility issue on their specs pages. Fortunately, this is a non-issue with the 512G Ultra-a truly versatile PC and Mac-friendly camera catered to your platform of choice.
- Wi-Fi is not included. While not a standard feature in dash cams, it is worth considering, especially at this price point. The Wi-Fi capability allows users to instantly send video from accidents to the police and insurers or even upload it on their social media networks.
- Difficult to remove from its mount. Users’ most common negative remark about the 512G Ultra is that removing the camera from the included in-vehicle mount can be challenging. This can be unnecessarily time-consuming and problematic, particularly when leaving cars parked in unknown areas or over an extended period. Leaving a dash cam in full view to strangers and passers-by could invite unwanted attention.
- Memory card not included. The Nextbase 512G Ultra does not include its memory card for straight out-of-the-box use. A 32GB card is the maximum capacity.
- More pricey than your average camera. Yes, it’s a nifty, quality-made dash cam and a brand trusted by consumers and insurers as the industry leader. But it is slightly more expensive than your average camera on the market that you would compare it with, though you do get what you pay for!
The Nextbase 512G Ultra dashboard camera is a higher-end, well-constructed dashboard camera loaded with plenty of great features users are sure to appreciate. Video image quality is exceptional and what one would expect at this price point; however, some lesser expensive models could compete with it. Nextbase’s integration of the anti-glare filter makes the 512G Ultra stand apart from the competition, particularly when comparing footage recorded in bright, direct sunlight.
Users have complained that the camera can be quite detailed to remove from its mount, which can cause problems for those frequently mounting and dismounting the device from vehicles. Additionally, the camera is a bit pricey, not including Wi-Fi capability or a memory card for straight-from-the-box use.
Overall, the Nextbase 512G Ultra dash cam is a user-friendly device with essential safety components and guaranteed reliable service for years to come, cementing its spot in our top UK dashboard cameras list. Moreover, one clear advantage of having a Nextbase dashcam over other brands is its acceptance by some UK insurance providers.
Remember to check out how you can receive a discount on car insurance premiums with the Nextbase 512G Ultra dashboard camera.
If you enjoyed our Nextbase 512G Ultra review, be sure to view more nextbase models.