Nextbase 512G Ultra Review
- High-quality image resolution, day or night
- Feature rich
- Oldest footage overwritten first
- Simple installation and distraction-free driving
- Mac compatible
- Wi-Fi not included
- Difficult to remove from its mount
- Memory card not included
- More pricey than your average camera
Impressive Day and Night Recording: The Nextbase 512G Ultra with full 1080p high-definition recording, an F1.6 aperture lens and a 140° viewing angle deliver crystal clear video footage, even when capturing events not happening directly in front of drivers. Pairing Sony’s latest Exmor Sensor with a powerful IR Night Vision system guarantees clear nighttime footage with fine detail retention. Drivers will certainly appreciate the added benefit of the camera’s intuitive Wide Dynamic Range feature, automatically adjusting to brightness levels according to changing lightning conditions.
Anti-Glare Polarising Filter: The 512G Ultra is the first dash cam in the world to integrate an anti-glare polarising system with its lens. The filter reduces windscreen glare, for clearer images and definition, even in direct sunlight.
Integrated GPS: The built-in 10x GPS sensor rapidly locates drivers to let them know where they are on the road as well as their their actual driving speed. The GPS records coordinates and driver speed throughout each trip for convenient playback on Google Maps™. In the unfortunate event of an accident, drivers can notify the police and insurers with a full roster of vital information for reports and claims.
G-Force and Motion Sensor: When an incident occurs, the G-Force sensor automatically triggers File Protection Mode, recording footage from before, during and after an impact or collision in an overwrite protected file for later review and analysis. In addition to File Protection Mode, the sensor detects if drivers yawed, braked and the actual force of impact.
Parking Mode: Keep vehicles secured from theft and collision even when you’re not present. Parking Mode detects motion outside the vehicle and records activity while the car is parked.
Photo Mode: In the event of an accident, dismount the 512G Ultra, switch to Photo Mode and document damages at the scene as evidence for the police and insurers.
Auto Power On: Don’t worry about powering-up the Nextbase 512G Ultra before setting off on a trip. The camera employs Ignition Detection to automatically activate once the car starts, saving drivers an extra step.
Large LCD Display: At nearly 7 cm, the LCD screen is slightly larger than average dash cam screens available to the UK market. The screen offers crisp images when recorded footage is instantly played back and user ease while navigating through the menu and settings.
Lengthy Cable: The included 12 V car adapter power cable is four meters in length, allowing users plenty of cable to work with and conceal along a widescreen and passenger side when setting up the 512G Ultra.
***credit to We’re going on an adventure channel for this video***
***credit to PC Advisor channel for this video***
Pros and Cons
- High-quality image resolution, day or night. An impressive F1.6 aperture, the 140° wide viewing angle and the novel addition of an anti-glare polarising filter ensure the 512G Ultra delivers top of the line footage regardless of time of day. The low aperture lets in plenty of light for improved performance in low light or nighttime driving, while the polarising filter eliminates excessive brightness that can take away from fine details when recording in direct sunlight. All video is recorded in brilliant 1080p HD for spectacular footage, guaranteeing clear resolution of license plates and road signs.
- Feature rich. Nextbase knows how to pack it all in, balancing roadside essentials with a few worthwhile additions that are quite attractive to today’s UK market. Some of the more noteworthy components include: Night Vision, an integrated GPS system, Parking Mode and Photo Mode.
- Oldest footage overwritten first. Thanks to the 512G Ultra’s auto-loop function, it automatically records over existing videos-starting with the oldest footage first, affording drivers an ample window to review footage before it is overwritten. This must-have feature preserves valuable space on the memory card, allowing for continuous recording of all your travels.
- Simple installation and distraction-free driving. The Nextbase product line thrives in doing one thing particularly well-creating devices with effortless set-up and intuitive use. The Nextbase 512G Ultra is no exception. A straightforward navigation menu allows for simple toggling through modes and custom adjustments to varied settings. Blackout the display completely, or after a designated time period, eliminating the screen’s bright halo that can cause driver distraction.
- Mac compatible. Numerous dash cameras currently available on the market are not compatible with Macs, nor do they clearly state this OS compatibility issue on their specs’ pages. Fortunately, this is a non-issue with the 512G Ultra-a truly versatile PC and Mac-friendly camera catered to your platform of choice.
- Wi-Fi not included. While not a standard feature in the realm of dash cams, it is certainly worth the consideration-especially at this price point. Wi-Fi capability allows users to instantly send video from accidents to the police, insurers or even upload it on their social media networks.
- Difficult to remove from its mount. The most common negative remark from users about the 512G Ultra is that it can be challenging to remove the camera from the included in-vehicle mount. This can be unnecessarily time-consuming and problematic, particularly when leaving cars parked in unknown areas or over an extended period. Leaving a dash cam in full-view to strangers and passers-by could invite unwanted attention.
- Memory card not included. The Nextbase 512G Ultra does not include its own memory card for straight out-of-the-box use. A 32GB card is the maximum capacity.
- More pricey than your average camera. Yes, it’s a nifty, quality-made dash cam and a brand that is trusted by consumers and insurers alike as the industry-leader. But it is slightly more expensive than your average camera on the market that you would compare it with, though you really do get what you pay for!
The Nextbase 512G Ultra dashboard camera is a higher-end, well-constructed dashboard camera, loaded with plenty of great features users are sure to appreciate. Video image quality is exceptional and what one would expect at this price point; however, there are lesser expensive models that could compete with it. Nextbase’s integration of the anti-glare filter makes the 512G Ultra stand apart from the competition, particularly when comparing footage recorded in bright, direct sunlight.
Users have complained that the camera can be quite painstaking to remove from its mount, which can cause problems for those frequently mounting and dismounting the device from vehicles. Additionally, we feel that the camera is a bit pricey to not include Wi-Fi capability or a memory card for straight-from-the-box use.
Overall, the Nextbase 512G Ultra dash cam is a user-friendly device with essential safety components and guaranteed reliable service for years to come, cementing its spot in our top UK dashboard cameras list. Moreover, one clear advantage of having a Nextbase dash cam over other brands is its acceptance by some UK insurance providers.
Remember to check out how you can receive a discount on car insurance premiums with the Nextbase 512G Ultra dashboard camera.
Nextbase 512G Ultra Product Details
|Spec Name||Model Spec Details|
|Lens||6, 140° wide angle|
|Resolution/Frame Rate||1080p at 30fps|
|Low Light Recording||Yes|
|Video Output||HDMI, AV|
|Power Source||12 V Power Adapter, 1x battery (approx. 10 min run time)|
|Memory||microSD cards up to 32GB|
|Display Type/Size||LCD/6.86 cm|
|Dimensions||3 x 6 x 4.1 cm|
- Nextbase 512G Ultra dashboard camera
- In-vehicle click and go suction mount
- 12 V car power adapter (4 m cable)
- USB cable
- HDMI cable
- User manual
- PC software
- SanDisk Ultra Android 32 GB microSDHC Memory Card
- Nextbase iN Car Camera Mount
- Nextbase InCarCam Carry Case
- Nextbase Car Camera Hard Wire Kit
Founded in 2005 and based in Surrey, Nextbase is the industry-leading brand for in-vehicle entertainment accessories. They are well-known for their high-quality DVD players, tablets and dashboard cameras. According to GFK data, their range of dash cams are the most popular in the UK, dominating 56% of the market share in March 2014!
Released in mid-2015, the Nextbase 512G Ultra dashboard camera received the “Best Buy” award in its category from Which? Magazine in 2015, while also picking up the Auto Express “Best Buy” 2016 award. At the time of writing, the 512G Ultra ranked #10 in the car driving recorders section of Amazon UK.
If you enjoyed our Nextbase 512G Ultra review, be sure to view more nextbase models.