Nextbase 402G Professional Review
Full HD-recording: Video recording at 1080p resolution paired with a wide 140° viewing angle. Perfectly ensure the Nextbase 402G Professional captures all important data with utmost clarity. From license plates to road signs, record the entire scene. Even when events are not happening directly in front of you.
Day and Night Driving Protection: The integration of Night Vision and Wide Dynamic Range technologies. Deliver clear imaging from both day and nighttime driving. The IR Night Vision feature includes 8-IR transmitters to precisely record images in extreme low light or night, while the Wide Dynamic Range component automatically adjusts brightness levels, recording fine detail regardless of shifting lighting conditions.
GPS Sensor: The GPS Sensor rapidly and accurately locates users, recording driving speeds and tracking coordinates for the duration of each trip. When connected to the Internet, users can playback footage on their computer, track routes with Google Maps and pinpoint the exact location of an accident.
G-Force Sensor and File Protection Mode: In the unfortunate event of an accident, the 3-axis G-Force sensor automatically triggers File Protection Mode, securely saving footage from before, during and after the impact in an overwrite protected file. The intuitive sensor is able to document the degree of braking, as well as the force of impact.
Parking Mode: A built-in sensor activates recording when movement passes next to the vehicle without a driver present, a handy feature to prove to insurers incidents of collision or vandalism in your absence.
Large LCD Screen: The impressive, 6.89 cm anti-glare screen allows for instant playback and viewing of footage with clean and sharp detail that is easy on the eyes.
Pros and Cons
- HD-quality imaging recorded from day and nighttime driving. Even from lengthy distances, license plates and road signs are easily recognized and read when reviewing footage in playback mode. Crisp images combined with the wide 140° viewing radius ensure all vital details are recorded from the front of the car.
- Newest recordings are saved automatically with the Auto-Loop function. This innovative feature overwrites footage in chronological order, recording over older files first, giving users plenty of time to review more recent driving activity without fear of it being erased.
- Distraction-free setting blacks out the screen, ensuring the display doesn’t disturb drivers while on the road. This added setting is especially useful during nighttime driving, eliminating the bright glare from the LCD screen.
- Feature-rich components go well beyond basic, default essentials, making the Nextbase 402G Professional a worthwhile contender when compared to higher-end models.
- User-friendly device. Although manual instructions may lack direction at times, the camera itself is easy to operate and navigate through varied settings, from default modes to custom recording preferences.
- Battery issuesreported in older models. A select number of this camera model were manufactured with battery issues. Some users reported that the battery died after a few sessions, while others reported the battery was no longer capable of holding a charge. Nextbase claims this issue has been resolved in newer serialized product versions; however, older flawed models can still be found circulating the marketplace.
- Mounting bracketis bulky and stiff. Additionally, removing the camera from the bracket is not always smooth, presenting some challenges. The purchase of a more flexible and secure in-vehicle mount is recommended for greater ease of use.
- No Wi-Fi feature.While Wi-Fi may not be desired by all consumers looking to purchase a dashcam. It is a bonus plus a feature in many instances. Many dash cams including Wi-Fi have interfaces for instant-sharing of video footage to the police, insurers or friends on social media.
- Memory card not included. The 402G dashboard camera does not come with a memory card. The camera supports microSD memory cards up to 32GB capacity.
The Nextbase 402G Professional dashboard camera guarantees remarkable HD-recording and reliable performance at a mid-range price point. Nextbase packs impressive features into the 402G, delivering a model that is comparable to many dash cams found with higher price tags. The main concern with the camera is purchasing an older version that is prone to battery issues. This concern is simply adverted by purchasing a model with a newer serial number. If uncertain, Nextbase is more than happy to help and guide customers with which serial numbers have been given the green light.
Apart from battery matters with older versions of the model, we believe that the Nextbase 402G Professional offers superb. All-round image quality and rich components to safeguard and satisfy any driver on the road, making it onto our top 10 UK dashboard cameras list. One clear advantage of having a Nextbase dashcam over other brands. Its wide acceptance by UK insurance providers, guaranteeing discounts on premiums.
- Lens: 6, 140° wide angle
- Resolution/Frame Rate: 1080p at 30fps
- Night Vision: Yes
- Microphone/Speaker: Built-in
- GPS: Yes
- G-sensor: 3-axis
- Wi-Fi: No
- Date/Time Stamp: Yes
- Loop Recording: Yes
- Parking Mode: Yes
- Video Format: MOV
- Video Output: AV, HDMI (included)
- Power Source: 12 V Power Adapter, 1x Li-ION battery (included)
- Memory: microSD cards up to 32GB
- Compatibility: PC, Mac
- Display Type/Size: LCD/6.89 cm
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 7 x 6.2 x 3.8 cm
- Weight: 100 g
Nextbase 402G Professional Unboxed
- Nextbase 402G Professional dashboard camera
- Click & Go in-vehicle suction mounting bracket
- 12 V power adapter (4 m cable)
- HDMI cable
- USB cable
- User manual
- PC software kit
- SanDisk Ultra Android 32 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card
- Nextbase In Car Camera Mount
- Nextbase InCarCam Carry Case
- The Nextbase Car Camera Hard Wire Kit
Founded in 2005 and based in Surrey, Nextbase is the industry-leading brand for in-vehicle entertainment accessories. They are well-known for their high-quality DVD players, tablets and dashboard cameras. According to GFK data, their range of dash cams is the most popular in the UK. Dominating 56% of the market share in March 2014! The Nextbase 402G Professional dashboard camera is the best-reviewed dash cam in the UK. Ranking popular position in the car recorders section of Amazon UK. In the dashcam category of in-vehicle devices. This Nextbase model was awarded as the Best Buy by The Sunday Times Driving in 2014 and Which? magazine in 2015!