The Nextbase 402G Professional is a top-of-the-line dash cam that offers a wide range of features for the discerning driver. With its high-definition video recording, GPS tracking, and advanced safety features, the Nextbase 402G Professional is the perfect solution for those who want the best in-car protection.
This review will take an in-depth look at what makes the Nextbase 402G Professional a standout dash cam and explore its many features, benefits, and drawbacks. Whether you’re a professional driver, a road-tripper, or want peace of mind, this dash cam is sure to deliver.
Highlighted Components of Nextbase 402G
Full HD recording:
- Video recording at 1080p resolution and a wide 140° viewing angle.
- Ensure the Nextbase 402G Professional captures all important data with utmost clarity.
- From license plates to road signs, record the entire scene even when events are not happening directly in front of you.
Day and Night Driving Protection: The integration of Night Vision and Wide Dynamic Range technologies. Deliver clear imaging from both day and nighttime driving. The IR Night Vision feature includes 8-IR transmitters to record images in extremely low light or at night precisely. At the same time, the Wide Dynamic Range component automatically adjusts brightness levels, recording fine detail regardless of shifting lighting conditions.
GPS Sensor: The GPS Sensor rapidly and accurately locates users, recording driving speeds and tracking coordinates for the duration of each trip. When connected to the Internet, users can playback footage on their computer, track routes with Google Maps, and pinpoint the exact location of an accident.
G-Force Sensor and File Protection Mode: In the unfortunate event of an accident, the 3-axis G-Force sensor automatically triggers File Protection Mode, securely saving footage from before, during, and after the impact in an overwritten protected file. The intuitive sensor can document the degree of braking and impact force.
Parking Mode: A built-in sensor activates recording when movement passes next to the vehicle without a driver present, a handy feature to prove to insurers incidents of collision or vandalism in your absence.
Large LCD Screen: The impressive 6.89 cm anti-glare screen allows instant playback and viewing of footage with clean and sharp detail that is easy on the eyes.
Day and Night Footage
Pros and Cons
- HD-quality imaging recorded from the day and nighttime driving. Even from lengthy distances, license plates, and road signs are easily recognized and read when reviewing footage in playback mode. Crisp images combined with the wide 140° viewing radius ensure all vital details are recorded from the front of the car.
- The newest recordings are saved automatically with the Auto-Loop function. This innovative feature overwrites footage in chronological order, recording over older files first, giving users plenty of time to review more recent driving activity without fear of erasing it.
- Distraction-free setting blacks out the screen, ensuring the display doesn’t disturb drivers while on the road. This added setting is especially useful during nighttime driving, eliminating the bright glare from the LCD screen.
- Feature-rich components go well beyond basic, default essentials, making the Nextbase 402G Professional a worthwhile contender when compared to higher-end models.
- User-friendly device. Although manual instructions may sometimes lack direction, the camera is easy to operate and navigate through varied settings, from default modes to custom recording preferences.
- Battery issues were reported in older models. A select number of this camera model were manufactured with battery issues. Some users reported that the battery died after a few sessions, while others reported the battery was no longer capable of holding a charge. Nextbase claims this issue has been resolved in newer serialized product versions; however, older flawed models can still be found circulating the marketplace.
- Mounting brackets are bulky and stiff. Additionally, removing the camera from the bracket is not always smooth, presenting some challenges. A more flexible and secure in-vehicle mount is recommended for greater ease of use.
- No Wi-Fi feature. At the same time, Wi-Fi may not be desired by all consumers looking to purchase a dashcam. It is a bonus plus a feature in many instances. Many dashcams, including Wi-Fi, have interfaces for the instant sharing of video footage with the police, insurers, or friends on social media.
- Memory card not included. The 402G dashboard camera does not come with a memory card. The camera supports microSD memory cards up to 32GB capacity.
The Nextbase 402G Professional dashboard camera guarantees remarkable HD recording and reliable performance at a mid-range price point. Nextbase packs impressive features into the 402G, delivering a model comparable to many dash cams with higher price tags. The main concern with the camera is purchasing an older version prone to battery issues. This concern is adverted by buying a model with a newer serial number. If uncertain, Nextbase is happy to help and guide customers whose serial numbers have been given the green light.
Apart from battery matters with older versions of the model, the Nextbase 402G Professional offers superb. All-round image quality and rich components to safeguard and satisfy any driver on the road, making it onto our top 10 UK dashboard cameras list. One clear advantage of having a Nextbase dashcam over other brands. Its wide acceptance by UK insurance providers guarantees discounts on premiums.
- Lens: 6, 140° wide angle
- Resolution/Frame Rate: 1080p at 30fps
- Night Vision: Yes
- Microphone/Speaker: Built-in
- GPS: Yes
- G-sensor: 3-axis
- Wi-Fi: No
- Date/Time Stamp: Yes
- Loop Recording: Yes
- Parking Mode: Yes
- Video Format: MOV
- Video Output: AV, HDMI (included)
- Power Source: 12 V Power Adapter, 1x Li-ION battery (included)
- Memory: microSD cards up to 32GB
- Compatibility: PC, Mac
- Display Type/Size: LCD/6.89 cm
- Dimensions (W x D x H): 7 x 6.2 x 3.8 cm
- Weight: 100 g
Nextbase 402G Professional Unboxed
- Nextbase 402G Professional dashboard camera
- Click & Go in-vehicle suction mounting bracket
- 12 V power adapter (4 m cable)
- HDMI cable
- USB cable
- User manual
- PC software kit
- SanDisk Ultra Android 32 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card
- Nextbase In Car Camera Mount
- Nextbase InCarCam Carry Case
- The Nextbase Car Camera Hard Wire Kit
Founded in 2005 and based in Surrey, Nextbase is the industry-leading brand for in-vehicle entertainment accessories. They are well-known for their high-quality DVD players, tablets, and dashboard cameras. According to GFK data, their range of dash cams is the most popular in the UK. They dominated 56% of the market share in March 2014!
The Nextbase 402G Professional dashboard camera is the best-reviewed dash cam in the UK. They are ranking popular position in the car recorders section of Amazon UK. In the dashcam category of in-vehicle devices. This Nextbase model was awarded Best Buy by The Sunday Times Driving in 2014 and Which? magazine in 2015!