Nextbase 312GW Dash Cam Review
- HD-quality video with Night Vision
- Loop Recording preserves valuable memory card space
- Effortless dismount
- Simple installation and distraction-free driving
- Poor battery life voids Photo Mode
- Sensitive buttons and awkward placement
- Memory card not included
Quality Day and Night Recording with Night Vision: The Nextbase 312GW dashcam records in full 1080p HD. Six layers of glass lenses combine to form its F2.0 aperture and 140° viewing angle that clearly captures events with vivid detail-from license plates to road signs. A fully-integrated IR Night Vision harnesses the power of eight IR transmitters, for remarkable footage in low light, extreme weather and nighttime driving conditions.
Built-in GPS: The GPS sensor records driver speed and location data from trips. When footage is played back on a computer, routes can be tracked with Google Maps™. If an accident occurs, drivers can provide police and insurers detailed information for reports and claims.
G-Force Sensor: When an event occurs, the G-Force sensor is activated and automatically triggers Emergency Recording. All footage from before, during and after an impact or collision is auto-recorded in an overwrite protected file for later review and analysis. In addition to Emergency Recording, the sensor detects if drivers yawed, braked, as well as accurately gauges the force of impact.
Parking Mode: Parking Mode utilizes built-in motion detection technology to automatically activate recording when sensors pick up activity or impact in front of the vehicle even when a driver isn’t present. This feature is particularly useful as evidence in the event of vandalism, or collision while the vehicle is parked and left unattended.
Photo Mode: In the event of an accident, drivers can remove the dashcam from its magnetic mount and use it as a standard digital camera, documenting damage to vehicles as evidence for police and insurers.
Wi-Fi: With the integration of Wi-Fi, drivers can instantly download footage of trips to Android/iOS smartphones and portable devices, or share them with their social networks. In the case of an accident, instantly share video with the police and insurers-indispensable evidence when filing tedious reports and claims.
Loop Recording: Loop Recording overwrites the oldest footage first, preserving space on memory cards for continuous recording.
World’s First Magnetic Car Mounting System: Not only is this Nextbase’s first magnetic-powered in-vehicle mounting system, but it is also the first in its class. Pioneering a new wave of dash camera mounts in the UK, the 312GW attaches magnetically to its bracket offering hassle-free securement and removal of the camera.
Large LCD Display: Playback footage directly on the camera without straining eyes. At nearly 7 cm, the LCD screen is noticeably larger than average dash cams available on the UK market.
***credit to Drivn channel for this video***
***credit to Peter Allan Jones channel for this video***
Pros and Cons
- HD-quality video with Night Vision. Recording at full 1080p HD coupled with Night Vision strength, the 312GW amazes, delivering sharp images and impressive details from day and nighttime driving. License plates and road signs are clear and easily recognized when footage is reviewed in playback mode, guaranteeing reliable evidence if needed.
- Loop Recording preserves valuable memory card space. Auto Loop Recording functionality enables the 312GW to record over existing footage in chronological order. Oldest footage is recorded over first, granting drivers ample time to review and analyze videos before they are overwritten. This must-have feature preserves valuable space on memory cards for continuous recording of all travels-wherever the road may take you.
- Effortless dismount. A running complaint with Nextbase has been the difficulty users experienced when dismounting cameras. The 312GW remedies the issue with the novel introduction of magnetic mounting technology. The magnetic bracket allows for a smooth, continuous movement when mounting or dismounting the camera without any of the past headaches. Additionally, cables run to the mount instead of the camera, improving overall accessibility.
- Simple installation and distraction-free driving. Nextbase prides itself on doing one thing particularly well-building devices that require little effort to set-up and offer intuitive use. The Nextbase 312GW dashcam is no exception. The click and go magnetic mount fits discreetly behind the rearview mirror, while the lengthy power cable can run along with the car’s interior to the cigarette lighter instead of loosely dangling in the driver’s field of view. Toggle through modes, settings and features using the self-explanatory navigation menu-even the most tech-challenged driver will be able to use the camera from the get-go. One setting proves particularly useful during nighttime driving, allowing for a complete blackout of the display screen to eliminate excess light.
- Poor battery life voids Photo Mode. While Photo Mode is not a critical feature, it’s certainly appealing, affording users the ability to take photos in case of an accident for use as evidence in police reports or insurance claims. However, the 312GW’s battery holds a minute or so of reserve when not directly connected to a power source, rendering Photo Mode essentially useless.
- Sensitive buttons and awkward placement. Users will have to exercise a bit of caution with the buttons as they tend to be sensitive to pressure. A big drawback is the location of the reset button-beneath the dash cam-which can lead to unintentional pressing when handling the camera.
- Memory card not included. The 312GW does not include its own memory card for straight out-of-the-box use. It accepts cards up to 32GB for up to 8.5 hours of footage.
The Nextbase 312GW dashcam is a quality-built, low-mid range dashcam, packing in essential features with a few bells and whistles in a compact, ergonomic design. Video recording quality never ceases to impress, especially considering the 312GW’s price point.
Nextbase even steps up their game with the addition of Wi-Fi (a feature absent in much of their product lineup), equipping drivers with instant capability to send recorded footage of accidents to the police, insurers or even share with their social networks. A major drawback to this camera is Nextbase’s poor integration of the battery. The battery’s inability to hold a charge long enough to make Photo Mode a useful feature can be considered a small drawback.
Overall, the Nextbase 312GW dashcam is a worthwhile upgrade to the 212 Lite model, delivering recording quality expected from more expensive cameras on the market. Effortless, hassle-free mounting and dismounting of the camera with the novel powered magnetic technology really gives this device an edge over its competitors, guaranteeing rapid install and storage for those constantly on the go.
Moreover, one clear advantage of having a Nextbase dashcam over other brands is its acceptance by some UK car insurance providers. Reliable performance and full integration of numerous in-demand features make Nextbase’s newest addition a knockout specimen, especially among its peers in the low-mid range £-££ price bracket, and making it into our very own Best UK dashboard cameras list.
|Spec Name||Model Spec Details|
|Lens||0, 140° wide angle|
|Resolution/Frame Rate||1080p at 30fps|
|Low Light Recording||Yes|
|Video Output||HDMI, AV|
|Power Source||12 V Power Adapter, 1x battery|
|Memory||microSD cards up to 32GB|
|Display Type/Size||LCD/6.86 cm|
|Dimensions||2 x 5.6 x 1.8 cm|
- Nextbase 312GW dashcam
- Click and go powered magnetic mounting system
- 12 V car power adapter (4 m cable)
- USB cable
- User manual
- PC software
- SanDisk Ultra Android 32 GB MicroSDHC Memory Card
- MINI USB Data & Charging Power Cable Lead
Where To Buy The Nextbase 312GW Dash Cam
Founded in 2005 and based in Surrey, Nextbase is the industry-leading brand for in-vehicle entertainment accessories. They are well-known for their high-quality DVD players, tablets and dashboard cameras. According to GFK data, their range of dash cams is the most popular in the UK, dominating 56% of the market share in March 2014!
Released in 2016, the Nextbase 312GW dashboard camera is one of Nextbase’s flagship products and has received the “Best Buy” award from Sun Motors.
If you enjoyed our Nextbase 312GW dash cam review, be sure to check out other cameras reviewed from the Nextbase‘s established range.