- Performance and design
- Extra alert features guarantee safety on the road
- A premium GPS receiver
- Lengthy power cable
- HP’s® SuperCar Software
- Touchscreen can be slow to respond
- Wi-Fi and Parking Mode not included
- Not Mac compatible
- Memory card not included
Day and Night Recording: The HP F800G’s F1.9 aperture lens combined with a 140° wide viewing angle, delivers crystal clearimage resolution with little edge-to-edge distortion. Video is recorded at full HD resolution, or 1080p at 30fps, capturing a vivid array of colour and fine detail regardless of level of light.
Integrated GPS: The built-in GPS records routes and tracks travel speed/direction-all without comprising standard navigational features of GPS devices. An innovative bonus is the GPS’s ability to learn and store locations of speed cameras as they are manually marked in its internal memory for future reference while driving.
Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision and Driver Fatigue Detection Systems: When the vehicle is traveling at speeds greater than 50 km/h, these systems are automatically triggered. The Lane Departure System intuitively alerts drivers when they are drifting outside of their designated lane, while the Forward Collision System warns drivers when the distance between their vehicle and an oncoming vehicle is too close. Both systems alert drivers with a visual on the camera’s display screen and an alarm. The Driver Fatigue Detection System works similarly, guaranteeing safe driving while on the road. Drivers will also be alerted if their vehicle exceeds a pre-set speed value. All alert settings can be toggled on/off to suit driver preference.
G-Force and Motion Sensor: When an incident occurs, the G-Force sensor automatically triggers Emergency Video Recording Mode. Footage from events are stored with a date and timestamp and protected from loop recording overwrites, ensuring vital evidence is saved in case a report needs to be made with the police and insurance company.
Loop Recording: The F800G records videos 3-5 minutes long. Recording time can be adjusted through the menu settings according to user preference and what is best-suited given the trip. Footage is recorded and saved on the installed microSD memory card. Standard loop recording technology prevents storage overload by erasing the oldest footage first and overwriting it with the newest footage. Depending on driving behavior and frequency, Loop Recording typically offers users ample time to review video before it is erased. Note: Overwriting of files DOES NOT apply to footage triggered when the camera activates Emergency Video Recording Mode. These files are always overwrite protected.
Audio Recording: A built-in microphone captures sound as well as video. As always, disclose and ensure you have full permission from passengers before recording any conversations.
Large LCD Touchscreen: At nearly 7 cm, the LCD screen is slightly larger than average dash cam screens. The addition of an anti-glare filter allows for a clear picture, even in bright light, eliminating eye strain when reviewing footage or referring to the GPS. The bonus touchscreen capability makes the F800G easy to navigate through menus and setting options.
Compact Footprint: The compact design allows the dash cam to install in vehicles without obstructing the driver’s view-paramount to road safety when shopping around for a suitable dash cam.
***credit to CarCam Warehouse channel for this video***
***credit to Ernest Tsang channel for this video***
Pros and Cons
- Performance and design. HP’s® attention to detail in crafting premium products paired with a thoughtful, ergonomic design makes the HP® F800G an all-around champ. Exceptional video recording capability from day or nighttime driving are fitted into a compact, sleek package for easy handling and installation in vehicles. The user-friendly navigation menu and settings make everyday use and customization (for those more tech-savvy) truly effortless.
- Extra alert features guarantee safety on the road. The joint forces of Lane Departure, Forward Collision, Driver Fatigue and Motion Detection warning systems will keep drivers safe and alert on the road.
- A premium GPS receiver is a welcome addition, providing police and insurance companies all the evidence needed for claims in the event of an accident-from precise coordinates, travel speeds, to the footage itself.
- Lengthy power cable can hide along the headliner, passenger side frame and under the glove box, ensuring it doesn’t interfere or obstruct the driver’s vision.
- HP’s® SuperCar Software is included on a mini-CD for viewing recorded video of travels along with surrounding areas on Google Maps™.
- Touchscreen can be slow to respond. This has not been a major issue, but some users have reported the touchscreen to lag in terms of responsiveness compared to other touchscreen devices. Perhaps we’re being a bit too critical, given the age of instant-response and results with a swipe of the finger, but we felt it was worth noting for potential buyers.
- Wi-Fi and Parking Mode not included. While certainly not standard features in the world of dash cams, they are worth considering when investing in a device (especially as they are becoming more readily available in the UK market). Wi-Fi enables users to instantly send video from accidents to the police, insurers or even upload it on their social media networks. Parking Mode on the other hand monitors and records suspicious activity occurring in front of parked vehicles without a driver having to be present.
- Not Mac compatible. After all, this is an HP® product.
- Memory card not included. The HP® F800G does not include its own memory card for straight out-of-the-box use. A 32GB card is the maximum capacity for this device. Inserting a 64GB memory card renders the device inoperative.
The HP® F800G dashboard camera is a compact, practical and well-constructed low-mid range dashboard camera worth the investment. It’s difficult to address major areas of concern without being overly discerning-an indication of its widely-favoured standing from numerous reviews. The F800G combines practical features with safety essentials, integrating GPS tracking and systems like the Lane Departure Warning to alert drivers when they are drifting outside of designated lanes. While Wi-Fi or Parking Mode features would be nice add-ons, particularly since they are more in demand than ever before, they are not essential to everyday utility.
Overall, the HP® F800G excels in its primary role-offering exceptional video recording quality day or night with an intuitive interface, putting it up there as one of the best available on the UK market.
Average Customer Rating: 4.5/5 stars (Amazon UK, based on 31 reviews)
Price: Low-Mid range £-££
HP F800G Product Details
|Spec Name||Model Spec Details|
|Lens||9, 140° wide angle, CMOS, 2.1 megapixels|
|Resolution/Frame Rate||1080p at 30fps|
|Low Light Recording||Yes|
|Video Format||264 .mov files (+ADPCM codec)|
|Video Output||Micro USB 2.0|
|Power Source||12 V Power Adapter, 1x Rechargeable Li-Po battery (included, sealed in camera-not replaceable by consumers)|
|Memory||microSD cards up to 32GB|
|Compatibility||PC (Windows Vista/7/8; Pentium D 3.0GHz processor or equivalent,1GB RAM or greater)|
|Display Type/Size||LCD/6.89 cm|
|Dimensions||9 x 3 x 5.1 cm|
- HP® F800G dashboard camera
- In-vehicle windshield suction mounting bracket
- Car power adapter (with USB connector, 3 m cable)
- Quick-start guide
- HP® SuperCar Software
- Warranty card (1-year limited)
*This can vary depending on the package you purchase*
- Samsung 32GB Evo MicroSDHC, Class 10
- BESTEK Three-Way Dual USB Outlet Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter
Founded in 1939, Hewlett-Packard (HP®) is a renowned electronic manufacturer that rises to modern challenges of innovation and reinvention. From 2007-2013, HP® was the global industry-leader in manufacturing personal computers. Presently, HP® designs, manufactures and markets thousands of products-from computers, printers, scanners, digital cameras, calculators, PDAs, servers, hardware/software, to the recent addition of dashboard cameras. The HP® F800G dashboard camera is just one of the brand’s many novelty products in which they work to push the boundaries of reinvention.
If you enjoyed our HP® F800G review, be sure to check out other cameras reviewed from the HP® dash cam range.