- Decent footage, especially during nighttime driving
- Simple installation and intuitive interface
- Compatible software app
- Memory card included
- 2-year warranty
- Narrow viewing angle
- Lacks discretion
- Not compatible with Windows phones
Day/Night Recording: The Transcend DrivePro 220 combines six glass lenses with a large F1.8 aperture and 130° viewing angle to furnish superior imaging quality. Moreover, the camera adjusts automatically to changing light conditions, capturing details with optimal resolution. Harnessing the power of its dynamic CMOS sensor, the 220 records all evidence needed in full 1080p HD, including license plates and road signs, during day and especially low/nighttime driving conditions with maximum clarity.
Integrated GPS: The built-in GPS receiver logs coordinates, stamps recorded footage with a date/time stamp and finds driver’s precise location in the event of an accident in order to contact emergency services and insurance providers. When connecting the dash cam to a computer, users can review their trips and essential data, such as direction of travel and driver speed.
G-sensor with Emergency Recording: If impact or a collision occurs, the motion G-sensor detects the force and automatically triggers Emergency Recording. Vital seconds before the incident, the event, and after are documented and safeguarded as an overwrite protected file. Manual activation of Emergency Recording can be done simply by pressing the Emergency Button.
Lane Departure (LDWS) and Forward Collision Warning Systems (FCWS): These systems are automatically triggered, notifying drivers with an alert icon on the display screen and a warning tone to prevent accidents. LDWS tracks lane markings along the road. When drivers go over a pre-set speed value and veer from their lane, LDWS is triggered. Conversely, FCWS alerts drivers when the distance between their vehicle and an oncoming vehicle is too close.
Parking Mode: While drivers are parked, the 220’s motion sensor records activity occurring in front of the vehicle—from slight bumps to a full impact. This handy feature safeguards vehicles in your absence.
Built-in Battery and Photo Mode: The fully-integrated Li-Polymer battery serves as a reliable back-up in the event of sudden power failure caused by an accident. When a vehicle loses power, the camera will continue to record for 30 seconds by default, ensuring important evidence is documented. Drivers can also activate the dash cam manually, recording upwards of 30 minutes on a fully-charged battery. The battery also powers the camera during Photo Mode when users disconnect the dash cam from the in-vehicle power source.
Wi-Fi and DrivePro App: Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity and the free downloadable DrivePro App for Android and iOs allow passengers to operate the 220 from their phones or smart devices while drivers maintain their focus on what matters—the road. Adjust modes or settings on the 220 through the DrivePro app without distracting drivers. Once connected to the wireless network, users can even stream a trip live, or upload and share recorded footage with the police, insurers or their social networks.
Car Mount Options: When purchasing the 220 on Amazon, buyers can choose between a suction or adhesive in-vehicle mount. The suction mount allows for greater versatility, enabling users to quickly remove the dash cam, switching it to and from different vehicles. Alternatively, the adhesive mount is a permanent in-vehicle mount for one car only. While the dash cam can always be removed, the mount will remain static.
***credit to Motor Verso channel for this video***
***credit to Anton Barba channel for this video***
Pros and Cons
- Decent footage, especially during nighttime driving. All-round, video performance is what one would expect from a dashboard camera at the mid-range price point. An F1.8 aperture paired with the 130° viewing angle provide clear video footage, adequately capturing license plates and road signs throughout the day. However, low light/nighttime performance of the 220 is superb, far surpassing the image quality of its competitors. Nighttime footage yields remarkable resolution with vivid details that can certainly be used as evidence.
- Fully-loaded. The Transcend DrivePro 220 balances essential features with a multitude of topnotch add-ons to rival many of its competitors. Let’s take a quick inventory of the basics: Integrated GPS, Wi-Fi, G-sensor activation of Emergency Recording, Parking Mode, Photo Mode. Now, let’s transition to a few of the noteworthy extras: GPS logging, automatic adjustments to day/nighttime driving, Lane Departure Warning System, Forward Collision Warning System, the Android/iOS compatible DrivePro App, a 64GB memory card capacity (yes, 64GB!). If you’re not impressed, we’re done here.
- Simple installation and intuitive interface. One of the biggest draws for purchasing a Transcend dash cam is they’re ready to go straight out of the box. The dash cam guarantees hassle-free installation in vehicles, even for those with no background expertise. A lengthy, 4 m power cord can be concealed along the headliner, passenger side frame and under the glove box to the cigarette lighter, ensuring a wire-free view through the windshield. Once powered on, the 220’s intuitive system provides user-friendly navigation through menu and setting options. If stuck for whatever reason, the DrivePro 220’s Quick Start Guide details clear instructions complemented by straightforward diagrams that are all written in plain English (not all that tech jargon).
- Compatible software app. Transcend’s dash cams are compatible with their proprietary DrivePro App. Recorded footage can be uploaded and streamed instantly through the camera’s integrated Wi-Fi functionality and a smart device. It is compatible with Android, iOs and Windows (not Windows mobile) operating systems.
- Memory card included. The 220 dash cam is ready for use straight out of the box. The camera includes Transcend’s 16GB memory card for up to 2 hours of full-HD recording. Unique to the 220 is its compatibility with larger memory cards, accommodating up to 64GB for 9 hours of continuous video. Crafted from top-tier, MLC NAND flash chips, Transcend’s memory cards provide dependable performance and lasting service life.
- 2-year warranty. A rarity in the dash cam world, Transcend guarantees a 2-year limited warranty for their products to alleviate any anxieties or buyer’s remorse in the event of purchasing a defective camera.
- Narrow viewing angle.Transcend markets the 220 as an update to their 200 model; however, the 200 features a much wider 160° viewing angle compared to the 220’s narrow 130° radius. Moreover, the 220’s viewing angle is one of the narrowest viewing angles found in the UK dashboard camera market, especially at this price point.
- Lacks discretion. While the gloss finish is an aesthetically attractive touch that makes the 220 stand out, it also makes it one of the least discreet in-vehicle dash cams. Its flashy exterior may attract unwarranted attention, especially if left unattended in vehicles during Parking Mode. Not a major con, but something to consider.
- Not compatible with Windows phones. Transcend’s DrivePro App runs smoothly on an array of smart technology, but unfortunately is not compatible with phones operating on a Windows platform.
Transcend’s DrivePro 220 is a user-friendly dashboard camera packed with innovative, high-demand features that are guaranteed to keep drivers safe on the road all at an affordable mid-range price tag. While daytime video quality is what one would expect from a camera at this range, Transcend impresses with its low light/nighttime video, with resolution and detailing that fares far better than average dash cams overall. The full scope of safety features—from the Lane Departure Warning System to the Forward Collision Warning System and automated Emergency Recording—ensures there’s something worthwhile for everyone. Notable drawbacks include the surprisingly narrow 130° viewing angle and the somewhat overly-designed exterior of the camera itself—not the most discreet of in-vehicle dash cams, which may in turn attract unwanted attention.
A full host of features certainly gives us plenty to rave about the Transcend DrivePro 220, but it earns top marks in their execution of a product that demonstrates receptiveness to customer feedback and full-integration of components tailored to driver needs. The camera offers a simple set up, intuitive interface and delivers reliable video footage, especially during low light and nighttime driving. Standing in queue at the mid-range price bracket, there’s not much anyone can complain about—especially considering Transcend throws in the added benefits of a 16GB memory card and their first-rate, two-year warranty, ensuring its place in our best dashboard cameras list.
Average Customer Rating: 4.4/5 stars (Amazon UK, based on 234 reviews)
Price: Mid-range ££
|Spec Name||Model Spec Details|
|Lens||0, 160° wide angleImage Sensor: CMOS, 3 megapixels|
|Resolution/Frame Rate||1080p at 30fps, 720p at 30 fps|
|Low light recording||Yes|
|Wi-Fi||Yes (free DrivePro App, for Android/iOS)|
|Video Format||264 files|
|Video Output||RCA video (included)|
|Power Source||12 VDC Power Adapter, 1x lithium-metal battery (included)|
|Memory||microSD cards up to 32GB (Class 6 or higher)|
|Compatibility||Windows XP/Vista/7/8, Mac 10.8.2 (or later), Linux Kernel 2.6.38 (or later)|
|Display Type/Size||LCD/6.1 cm|
|Dimensions||2 x 6.7 x 3.4 cm|
- Transcend DrivePro 220 dashboard camera
- In-vehicle suction/adhesive mount*
- Car adapter
- 16GB microSD MLC memory card*
- Video cable
- Quick-start guide
- Warranty card (2-years limited)
*Varies depending on bundle purchased
- Transcend 32GB MicroSDHC, Class 10
- Transcend 64GB MicroSDHC, Class 10
- Transcend TS-DPM1 Suction Mount
- USB Data Cable Lead, Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi Photo Transfer for PC/Mac
- DURAGADGET Carry Case with Belt Clip and Memory Card Holders
Where To Buy The Transcend DrivePro 220 Dash Cam
Transcend DrivePro 220
Transcend DrivePro 220
Founded in 1988, the Taiwanese electronic manufacturer Transcend has established a solid global reputation. Transcend has made a name for themselves, offering a wide range of over 2,000 electronic devices and multimedia accessories, including the following: memory modules, flash memory cards, USB flash drives, digital audio players, portable media players, portable hard drives, multimedia products and graphics cards to name a few. A 2007 report ranked Transcend as the world’s third largest manufacturer of USB flash drives.
The Transcend dashboard camera is a welcome upgrade to their DrivePro 200. In 2016 alone, the 220 received four awards from Professional Driver & Auto Express UK, Gecid (Ukraine) and Taiwan Excellence for its quality build, feature-rich components and reliable performance.
If you enjoyed our Transcend DrivePro 220 dashboard camera review, be sure to check out other cameras reviewed from the Transcend family.